Wednesday 28 March 2012

3. What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?







 As I have looked at existing music magazines, I have particularly focused on NME magazine. NME magazine is an indie-alternative-rock genre magazine, and is published by IPC Media; this is the distribution company that I would probably use for my magazine if it were to be published as a real magazine. IPC Media as a company produce over 60 brands, most of which are iconic and extremely famous; these include: NME, Country Life, Now, Look, and Marie Claire, plus many more. From researching IPC Media it is clear that they do not feature in publishing music magazines alone, this could mean that my magazine would gain a wider audience range, which is ideal for publicity and promotion.
Distribution of magazines is restricted to mainly magazine stands, websites, and posting magazines to subscribers. However, some magazines are advertised on billboards and on television, which also brings about a wider audience; this is something that IPC Media have achieved as there are successful Now magazine advertisements on television, and some magazines appearing on billboards. Having an online magazine can attract more young people as they spend a lot of time on the Internet and on computers in general in the UK; this could make my magazine appeal to youths more, which is a main section of my target audience. Paid circulation would be how I would choose to distribute my magazine; the general public does not tend to pick up free magazines so the features of my magazine would be pointless. My magazine would also feature top stories and breaking news related to popular alternative artists. NME is available for subscription, as are multiple other magazines; I would choose to have this option available for readers of my magazine as subscriptions are well worth the money, and can include freebies and other privileges.

No comments:

Post a Comment