Monday 27 February 2012

First Draft: Feedback

I discussed my improvements with Mr Smith today, we looked over all the aspects of my draft front cover and he advised me in which areas needed the most attention.

His overall reaction was that at a first glance the magazine is really eye-catching and is suitable for it's purpose, however the closer detail such as the existing artists featured in the magazine do not fit with the theme. I have focused on The Arctic Monkeys and The Strokes, these bands are now too 'old' and are not fresh enough to have coverage in a new music magazine; however the use of Foals and MGMT was suitable as they are still producing fairly new, up to date, music. I agreed with Mr Smith's comment about the bands being a bit out of date, it is difficult to include both classic indie with a new age indie such as Foals, mainly because the audience of Arctic Monkeys is older and may not even glance at a magazine like Fugue. I have taken this on board and looked at some other newer artists of a similar genre to my magazine, I have so far found Crystal Castles, and GroupLove.
Mr Smith said he really liked the image I have used for the front cover so I will keep that the same as I also particularly like the expression that my artist is pulling as it's unusual/quirky. He did however mention that the title now looks weak compared to the image, the font I originally chose is very thin and does not stand for itself - Mr Smith suggested either changing the font or changing the colour, or both. I had already considered changing this font as it appeared overpowered by the photograph, however I needed a second opinion so I left it as it was for my first draft; I had already looked at a few more fonts to vary my research, so I was prepared for this change.
I have focused on this font since our discussion, and I particularly like the even spacing of the characters:



A key detail on my draft front cover is that there is no title for my artist on the front cover, her name is not mentioned at all on the cover so far; this was partly because I had not decided on whether she was going to have a stage name or an original name yet. On the bright side, the t-shirt I styled her in is plain black which is ideal for me to fill the black space with her name.
The final tips were just to fill in the blank gaps, which I will successfully do in my next front cover production.

1 comment:

  1. Jess

    Stop being so bloomin modest. You had already decided to alter the font etc. Alter the post above to actually reflect the fact that you are quite good at this and don't always need my advice (I am aware of the irony of me advising you not to pay too much attention to my advice).

    ReplyDelete